Tuesday, September 29, 2009

US Postage Stamp Collection

I found a good one. It was on the bottom shelf of a picked-over rack at one of the thrift stores I visit. I noticed a three-ring binder with pictures of postage stamps on it. I took a look inside and it contained several pocket pages with unused US postage stamps. The binder was marked for $1.50 and I knew just from glancing inside that there was much more than $1.50 in stamps. So I bought it. Here's what I got.

I counted 457 unused stamps with a total face value of $26.31. They are are older stamps, 4¢, 5¢, 6¢, 8¢,10¢, and 15¢. I thought at first that I could easily get at least face value if not more. I found by doing a quick search on eBay that similar auctions were getting slightly under face value. So, I started my auction off at $19.00 with free shipping and I threw in an old 20 Kroner bank note from Denmark, worth about $4.00. I could have asked for $30.00 and expected to get it but the whole point with selling on eBay is to give the next guy a good deal while at the same time turning a quick profit for yourself. I think this auction accomplishes both.

No comments: